Performing a Warm Capture
Note: This article applies to SmartDeploy v2.0.3020 and newer.
To capture an image with the VM running, you must first create a SmartDeploy Boot ISO:
- Open the SmartDeploy console and sign in.
- Click the Reimage Devices tile on the Activities pane.
- Click the Create Media tile.
- On the Welcome Screen, click Next.
- Leave Boot Media selected and click Next.
- Click the check-box next to Platform Packs to de-select your Platform Packs and click Next.
Note: Most Virtual Box, VMware, and Hyper-V machines do not require additional drivers in the SmartDeploy boot media intended for warm captures.
- Click Yes when asked to confirm leaving out Platform Packs.
- Leave the Optional Components fields blank, skipping the selection or creation of an Answer File and click Next.
- On the Media Type page select DVD and click Next.
- Click Browse and select a location and file name for the new SmartDeploy ISO file.
- Leave the ‘Burn Now’ checkbox de-selected and click Next.
- Click Finish to create the ISO.
Next, mount the SmartDeploy Boot ISO to your Virtual Machine and complete the Warm Capture
- Open your Virtual Machine settings and mount the SmartDeploy ISO you created in the previous section on the Virtual Machine.
Note: VMware virtual machines may require you to check the box for ‘Connected at Power On’ to boot from the ISO.
- Start the virtual machine and boot to the virtual CD/DVD drive that you mounted in Step 1.
Note: If prompted, press any key to boot to CD/DVD. The goal is to boot the VM to the SmartDeploy PE ISO rather than the previously installed OS.
- Click Capture an image, and continue through the Capture Wizard as normal.
Note: When performing a Warm Capture, you will be required to map a network drive and save your image file to that network location.