SmartDeploy Console User State Migration
User settings and data can be migrated from one machine to another using the SmartDeploy Console. The migration store can be captured to a network location and then deployed to a target device. The SmartDeploy client will need to be installed on the source and destination devices. Please refer to the User’s Guide for information on installing the client.
Capturing User State
- Open the SmartDeploy Console and click on Computer Management.
- Right-click on the target machine you want to capture, hover over User State, and click on Capture.
- Select the options for which data to migrate. Click Browse to select the network share location to save the migration store (default is the User States folder in your SmartDeploy directory) and provide network credentials for connecting to the share. Click Network to map a drive to a different network share. Click Next.
For detailed information about User Data Migration options, please refer to the SmartDeploy User’s Guide.
- (Optional) The User State can be immediately deployed after the capture completes. To do so, check the box for Migrate after capture and select the target device from the list. You can also type to search for a specific device. Uncheck the box to skip deployment and only capture. Click Finish.
- Click OK to confirm.
- While the User State is being captured, the following icon will appear next to that device..
Deploying User State
- To deploy the captured User State, right-click on the target machine you want to deploy to, hover over User State, and click on Deploy.
- Browse to the captured migration store and select the migration file (.mig). Click Network to map a drive to a different network share. Provide the network credentials to map the network share. Click Finish.
- Click OK to confirm.
- While the User State is being deployed, the following icon will appear next to that device..
Additional Information on User State Capture Options
- User Settings: User folders, settings, and documents (C:\Users\...)
- Application Settings: Settings for commonly used Microsoft and other software
- Documents: Additional files on the C: drive that are not operating systems files or applications
- Migrate Active Users Who Logged In The Last X Days: Only capture user accounts that have logged into the operating system in the last X number of days
- Migrate Encrypted Data: Encrypted data will be decrypted for capture and deployment
- Ignore Access Errors: Allows the capture to continue when running into files that are open or in use that could not be migrated. Check the C:\Windows\Temp\ScanState.log to see what was not migrated
Note: A more detailed list of what is migrated can be found at https://docs.microsoft.com/ en-us/windows/deployment/usmt/usmt-what-does-usmt-migrate