Watch this video for a walkthrough and demonstration of using Group Policy to install the SmartDeploy Client. Step-by-step instructions are below the video.
Note: If you haven't already done so, please complete the steps in the Create a SmartDeploy Client Installation Package article before you continue.
Create a Group Policy Object (GPO) to Install the SmartDeploy Client
- Copy the SDEClientSetup.msi file to a network share to be used as the installation source in the Group Policy Object.
- (Recommended) Place the SDClientSetup.msi file in a subfolder named to reflect the specific, current version of SmartDeploy, for example, \\hostname\sharename\3.0.1000\SDClientSetup.msi.
Note: We recommend that you leave the previous version of the SDClientSetup.msi file in place when you update your GPO Software Installation policy in the event that Windows needs this file to complete the uninstallation of the old client. Organizing the client installation files into folders makes this easier for you to do.
- Open the Group Policy Management console, and browse to and expand your domain in the left pane.
- Right-click the organizational unit that you want to target with the new policy, and click Create a GPO in this domain, and link it here.
- In Name, type a name for the new GPO, and then click OK.
- On the Linked Group Policy Objects tab, right-click your new GPO, and then click Edit.
- In the left pane of the Group Policy Management Editor, expand Computer Configuration > Polices > Software Settings.
- Under Software Settings, right-click Software installation, and then click New > Package.
- In File name, type the UNC path to the network share that contains your SDEClientSetup.msi file, and then click Open.
- Select the SDEClientSetup MSI file, and then click Open.
- In the Deploy Software window, leave Assigned selected, and then click OK.
- In the Software Installation pane, right-click SmartDeploy Client, and then click Properties.
- In the Properties window, select the Deployment tab.
- Click Assigned to reenable the Deployment options area, click the Install this application at logon check box, and then click OK.
- Close the Group Policy windows.