Watch this video for a walkthrough and demonstration of using Group Policy to install the SmartDeploy Client. Step-by-step instructions are below the video.
Note: If you haven't already done so, please complete the steps in the Create a SmartDeploy Client Installation Package article before you continue.
Create a Group Policy Object (GPO) to Install the SmartDeploy Client
- Copy the SDEClientSetup.msi file to a network share to be used as the installation source in the Group Policy Object.
- (Recommended) Rename the SDEClientSetup.msi file to reflect the specific, current version of SmartDeploy, for example, SDEClientSetup_3050.msi.
Note: We recommend that you leave the previous version of the SmartDeployClientSetup.msi file when you update your GPO Software Installation policy. Renaming the file makes this easier for you to do.
- Open the Group Policy Management console, and browse to and expand your domain in the left pane.
- Right-click the organizational unit that you want to target with the new policy, and click Create a GPO in this domain, and link it here.
- In Name, type a name for the new GPO, and then click OK.
- On the Linked Group Policy Objects tab, right-click your new GPO, and then click Edit.
- In the left pane of the Group Policy Management Editor, expand Computer Configuration > Polices > Software Settings.
- Under Software Settings, right-click Software installation, and then click New > Package.
- In File name, type the UNC path to the network share that contains your SDEClientSetup.msi file, and then click Open.
- Select the SDEClientSetup MSI file, and then click Open.
- In the Deploy Software window, leave Assigned selected, and then click OK.
- In the Software Installation pane, right-click SmartDeploy Client, and then click Properties.
- In the Properties window, select the Deployment tab.
- Click Assigned to reenable the Deployment options area, click the Install this application at logon check box, and then click OK.
- Close the Group Policy windows.