Follow this step-by-step guide to learn how to join a client computer to your domain in the Computer Management workspace of the SmartDeploy Console.
In the Computer Management workspace, select the target client computer and then click Command | Join Domain.
- Select Local Network or Cloud Network for sending the command to the target client.
- In the Join Domain window, complete the following:
- In the New Domain Name box, enter a domain name.
- Optional: You may specify an Organizational Unit (OU) if you wish, or you may leave this field blank.
OUs must be specified in the Distinguished Name format. To locate this value for a specific OU, launch adsiedit.msc on your domain controller, browse to the OU you wish you use, and copy the exact value that appears in the Distinguished Name column. See the (truncated) example in the screenshot below, as well as in this Microsoft KB article here:
Do not specify the Active Directory default container, Computers, as specifying this container as the OU during a domain join operation is not supported in Active Directory.
- In the Username box, enter a domain user with appropriate permissions to perform the domain join.
- In the Password box, enter your password.
- Optional: Check the Allow User To Defer Command checkbox to give the user the opportunity to delay the Join Domain command. If you do not check this box, this command will cause an immediate reboot of the target computer.
- Click Finish to display the confirmation, then click OK to confirm.
Note: In the All Computers workspace, hover your mouse cursor over the icon next to the computer to verify the status of the Join Domain command. You can also verify this status in Message History.