Before you continue, ensure that you have the following:
- The SmartDeploy Console is installed
- The installation files for the application that you want to deploy by using SmartDeploy
- A computer or virtual machine that has the SmartDeploy Client installed and present in the Computer Management workspace of the console
Note: We do not recommend building an application pack for an application that is larger than 5GB in size.
Step 1: Identify the Silent/Unattended Installation Commands
Application deployment must be run silently or unattended (meaning without user interaction). Most installations have an option for this, but it can vary depending on the application. Application Packs have an option to use Command Line arguments, so finding the appropriate switches to use with the installation setup file is important. Some applications, such as Microsoft Office 365, require specifying a configuration XML that must be manually created. If you're unsure of the silent installation argument, you can run the executable with /? to get additional details or refer to the application’s documentation to find the appropriate switches or arguments for Command Line installation. Typically, .exe files can be installed with the /s switch: setup.exe /s
Before you continue to step 2, we recommend that you test this command on a test computer or a virtual machine. Copy the installation files to your test machine and open a Command Prompt as an administrator. Test the installation command and verify that the application installs successfully without user interaction. If the command is successful, uninstall the application, and continue to step 2. If the command is not successful, double check that the switches or the syntax of the command are correct and try again.
Step 2: Build the Application Pack
Once you've confirmed the correct command to silently install the application, follow these steps to build the Application Pack.
- Open the SmartDeploy Console.
- Click Applications & Tasks in the left pane.
- Click the plus (+) icon in the top right corner, and then click Create an Application Pack.
- On the Welcome page, click Next.
- On the Installation Files page, click Browse to select the Folder Path to browse to and select the folder that contains your application files and then click Select Folder.
Note: The Folder Path you select is presumed to contain files relating to this installation, and all files and subfolders within this path will be added to the Application Pack.
If it is your intention to just add a single file to the Application Pack (such as a script or msi), then we recommend putting that single file into a separate folder, and selecting that folder instead.
- For Executable Path, click Browse and select the executable or script file within the previously selected folder and click Open and then click Next.
- On the Details page, confirm that the correct information populated the details fields correctly. You can change or provide your own information here as needed, before clicking Next.
- On the Installation Task page, specify the arguments required for a silent installation of your application, as well as any additional parameters required for your specific installation and then click Next.
Note: Applications must be installed “silently.” Refer to the application’s documentation to find the appropriate switches or arguments for Command Line installation.
- On the Installation Detection page, confirm that the correct information populated the name and version fields correctly (if required) and then click Next.
- On the Summary page, review your Application Pack details and then click Next.
- On the final page, click Finish to close the Application Pack wizard.
Note: You can check the box to open the new application pack in the Application Pack Manager to make additional changes if you would like.
- On the Save page, specify a location, and file name for the Application Pack and then click Save.
Note: We recommend saving the file in your \SmartDeploy\Application Packs\ directory.